Call Us CALL US TODAY | (850) 424-6979
Homeowners Insurance HOME

A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.

Read More
Auto Insurance AUTO

Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident.

Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS

Discover the perfect insurance options to meet your specific and unique needs.

Read More
Life Insurance LIFE

Browse a variety of insurance options in order to find the right one for you.

Read More
Flood Insurance FLOOD

Learn about flood coverage options that fit your specific needs.

Read More
Recreational Insurance RECREATIONAL

Finding insurance doesn't have to be difficult. We do the work for you.

Read More

Know Your Coverages:

The coverages on your homeowners insurance policy may seem like alphabet soup: A, B, C, D, E…. What are the coverages, and why are they important? Here’s a quick summary.

Insurance Coverages

Coverage A: Anything involving the physical structure of your home, generally termed “dwelling.” Check with your insurance agent to be sure that you have adequate coverage, and that your policy has been updated to include recent home improvements. Your agent has access to Replacement Cost Estimate (RCE) software that can help in estimating whether or not your current Coverage A amount is adequate.

Coverage B: “Other structures,” Coverage B, is often the most confusing. Other structures are defined as those which are set apart from the dwelling by clear space or connected to the dwelling by only a fence, utility line, or similar connection. Other Structures that most homeowners have include your driveway, fencing, mailbox, and garden shed. Large-value Other Structures, such as a detached garage, gazebo, or pool building need special attention from your agent to be certain that you have enough Coverage B limit to replace them. Coverage A and Coverage B limits are not interchangeable, so let your agent know about all your outdoor property. A swing set anchored to the ground is a Coverage B item. The value of a screen enclosure attached to your home is included in Coverage A.

Coverage C: In a word, the “contents” of your home. If you flipped your house upside down, everything that fell would be contents. It is all the items that are not attached, or built-in, to your home. A complete home inventory will help you find out if your contents (Coverage C) amount is adequate, or if you need a Personal Articles Endorsement for some items. Here are some examples: your new diamond anniversary ring; great-grandma’s antique silver service and china set; the mini music recording studio in your garage; the coin collection you recently inherited from your great-uncle; or items that need a specific valuation such as an original painting or sculpture. After you finish your home inventory, or if you have questions during the process, check with your insurance agent to be sure that your policy includes the coverages you need.

Coverage D: If you have to live elsewhere temporarily due to covered damage to your home, you will need this coverage for your additional living expenses.

Posted 12:10 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder